A Guide to Pedagogy and Performance
Tish Oney merges the worlds of jazz and classical singing in a comprehensive guide for those teaching and singing jazz. Legendary jazz singers’ performance strategies are discussed providing unique insights.
Jazz Singing combines jazz stylization and improvisational techniques with classic voice pedagogy to outline a method that builds the jazz voice upon a strong foundation of proper alignment, efficient breathing, healthy phonation, a clear understanding of vocal anatomy, and the physics of singing. Various strategies to enhance improvisation and artistry are presented, and mindful coordination of all aspects is emphasized to create authentic, healthy jazz singing in this groundbreaking book.
Peggy Lee: A Century of SongBuy Now
Tish Oney’s 2020 book, Peggy Lee: A Century of Song, earned several critically-acclaimed reviews worldwide including a starred review from Library Journal.
The book is available for purchase at ROWMAN & LITTLEFIELD.
Dr. Oney was invited to participate in the Grammy Museum’s panel discussion and toast celebrating Peggy Lee’s centennial birthday. Since then Oney has been a featured guest on the CBC, NPR, Sirius XM, PRI, and Talk Radio Europe, with broadcasts to over 120 countries.
Oney is considered the world’s leading expert on the original music of Peggy Lee and an authoritative voice on the Great American Songbook, Jazz Voice Pedagogy, and Multi-Genre Singing.
Anatomy of a Standard
Click here to visit my column at All About Jazz
Additional Articles by Tish Oney
- “Know Thy Text!” Classical Singer Magazine, September/October 2020
- “The Role of the Understudy,” Classical Singer Magazine, May/June 2021
- Cover Story: “Onward and Upward with Nathan Gunn,” Classical Singer Magazine, May/June 2021
- “An Examination of Black Coffee by Peggy Lee,” JazzTimes feature article, December 2020
- “Dalcroze Eurhythmics: An Application to Voice Pedagogy,” Journal of Singing, September/October 2017
Published Interviews and Articles about Tish Oney
- “That’s Not All There Is: Celebrating the Centennial of Peggy Lee (Greenville Journal, August 2020)
- “Celebrated ‘Century’: Jordan Native Pens Book about Prolific Singer (Auburn Citizen, August 2020)
- “‘Black Coffee’: Peggy Lee’s Darker Exploration of Love” (UDiscoverMusic, August 2020)
- “Peggy Lee: The Life and Legacy of a Pioneering Jazz Singer” (UDiscoverMusic, July 2020)
- Take Five with Tish Oney (All About Jazz, August 2019)
- Grammy Museum Announces Peggy Lee 100th Birthday Celebration (Broadway World, May 2020)
- Queen of Arts: Tish Oney Channeling Peggy Lee (Syracuse Woman Magazine, October 2020, pp. 14-15)
- “Peggy Lee’s Centennial Continues with the Release of ‘Peggy Lee: A Century of Song'” (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, August 2020)
- 100 years after her birth, Peggy Lee celebrated with a book on her ‘Century of Song’ (Los Angeles Daily News, August 2020)
- A Century of Song Started in Jamestown (Jamestown Sun, August 2020)